Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Busy First Week

I'm settling into my new role here at AFABC. Getting to know the staff and volunteers -- and hopefully -- getting to know more of the families here in the Vancouver/Coastal area that we serve!

On the family side of things, it's been hard 'letting go' of my role as full time primary care giver to my little guy. I went from part time early morning shifts at YVR to a Tuesday to Friday gig here at my new post. I hate saying goodbye to my little guy at night and have to wait til dinner time the next day to see him again.

I wonder how much of it is "mommy guilt" and how much is "adoptive mommy guilt". He didn't come home til he was seven months... is it too soon now, at 19 months, to be putting him in daycare full time? Has he had enough time to cement his bond with me?

How do other adoptive parents feel at the end of the nine months' parental leave, when they're forced back into the workforce full time? (Yes, this is a not-so-subtle gripe against the disparity between biological parents who get a full year, and adoptive parents who get only 35 weeks of leave.)

The good news is, he's excited about daycare and making friends already. He loves to tell me (-- in all his one word and two word capabilities) all about his day, his little buddies, his adventures on transit with daddy (who -- what a trooper!) actually takes him to daycare on the bus each morning!

The bad news? I want to be in daycare, too!! Well, you know what I mean. I just miss the little man.

No comments: