Monday, August 31, 2009

Certifiably Insane: Can I Get an Upgrade on My Rubber Room?

A few weeks back, I mentioned my upcoming trip to Disneyland with my pint sized powerhouse. I called myself crazy for thinking of it, demented for attempting it, and completely delusional for thinking it might be fun. I also commended my deranged self for attempting the trip all on my own.


Then the plans changed ever-so-slightly.


My husband surprised me. He wanted to come after all. (By surprised I mean FLOORED; I've been nagging -- oops, I mean respectfully requesting that he get his passport done for five years now! FIVE! I've been through a whole passport since I started asking him!) Not only did he want to come, but he also wanted to bring some family with him.


Um, excuse me, which family? (The suggestion of "some family" is always followed up by "be more specific!!!" He's one of five kids, I'm one of twelve, so you can imagine...)

"My little brothers," he replied. It really was a very sweet gesture. Kevin's the oldest of five, and his family never quite made it to Disneyland. So he's taking his youngest two brothers along on the trip he hadn't gotten the chance to take himself.

So we're off. My 29 year old husband, my 27 year old self, our 22 month old lap infant, our 20 year old and 14 year old brothers. Hey. Wait a minute! I'm outnumbered four to one! Our hotel room had BETTER have two bathrooms......

I'm actually really looking forward to it. Getting to be a kid again (not that I behave like an adult any more often than is absolutely required.) But it'll be nice to just be there, in the magic of Disney, with three kids who will be seeing it with fresh pairs of eyes.

The 14 year old is kind of caught up in adolescence. He's trying hard to be cool, and is constantly debating (in the healthy sense of the word) and practicing a bit of defiance (as is expected of kids his age!). But he will always play with our son, and throw a ball around with him, and be there for him. They really love each other, and I think it's great that he's coming along.

The 20 year old will be in his glory. He still watches the occasional cartoon, and he loves being around little ones. He has Down Syndrome, and hasn't lost that childhood innocence in a lot of ways. I'm looking forward to seeing how much he enjoys the trip.

If you thought I was crazy to be taking on Disneyland alone with my toddler, you must be sure of it now that I'm taking it on with four boys. Check me into my rubber room and strap on the straight jacket. Just don't forget my mouse ears!

Watch out, Disney. Here we come!

No comments: