Thursday, September 17, 2009

This Is Why I Come to Work

Every once in a while, you have a day that makes you sit back and go "now THIS is why I come to work!"

Tuesday was that kind of day. It started out with a staff meeting (don't be ridiculous, readers, it wasn't the stats that sent me over the moon with happiness - However, the chocolate muffins from Tim Horton's didn't hurt.)

It was the visitor - or should I say visitors that arrived shortly thereafter that made me smile - and kept me smiling for the rest of the day.

I really am a very lucky lady; I get to open up our  association's magazine and see two pages of smiling faces looking back at me. Their big grins or coy smirks proudly announce that they've joined their forever families.

And on Tuesday, I got to meet a brand new baby boy, who was brought in by the steady arm of his brand new daddy. Every adoption is special, every successful placement its own private miracle, but every once in a while you just sit back and go "Wow. This is why I'm here, this is why I get up and go to work every morning."

This particular father had been waiting a long time to welcome home his little one, and it was so amazing to see him walk through the door as a Daddy, proud and perfectly content with his precious cargo in hand.

Daddy was generous enough to loan me his little son for an extra long snuggle.... and maybe that's why I went home that day and gave my own not-quite-baby boy an extra long hug.

On days when you get to celebrate the most amazing moments of parenthood, it makes my job all the more amazing. Tonight I'll have the pleasure of speaking to dozens of people who are just beginning this journey.

Maybe someday soon I'll watch a few of those faces walk through the door with a baby, or toddler, or teenager in tow, ready to re-introduce themselves to me as "momma" or "poppa" instead of "prospective" parent.

No comments: