Thursday, May 16, 2013

Elect-a-Mom


This week I brought Noah along to complete my civic duty. He wanted to know all about voting (in particular whom I'd be voting for so he could broadcast their name to the entire polling station).

He was also curious about why we were voting in the first place.

"Why are you voting, Mama?"
"Every few years we need to choose a leader."
"What's a leader?"
"A leader is someone who makes important decisions for other people. So we might get a new leader, and we might keep the same lady."
"But I don't want a new Mommy!"

How sweet. At least he awknowledged my authority. I was almost proud.


As I'd told him before, "You're stuck with me, Noah! We're not voting for a new Mommy or Daddy."

Sorry kiddo. There are no recounts, no terms, and no re-election campaigns. I'm stuck with you and you're stuck with me. And politics aside, that was the perfect ending to election day.

No comments: